Paleo Pavlova with Coconut Whipped Cream, Fresh Berries and Citrus
I (Katey) developed this recipe specifically for our Galentine's Day feast. I naturally wanted to make something simple that looked like it took hours. Every time I cook (or bake), my goal is to surprise people when I tell them how healthy the dish is. Eating healthy does not mean you have to give up on flavor! This dessert was so delish, it caused a fight for scraps amongst friends.
- 6 egg whites (at room temperature)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tblsp arrowroot starch
- 1 cup coconut sugar (ground to fine dust) OR 1/2 cup raw honey
- SO Delicious Cocowhip
- Fresh berries and citrus of your liking (blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, blood orange, orange)
- Grind the coconut sugar in a food processor to a fine dust (very important).
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the sugar and arrowroot together. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites and salt in your standing mixer. Using the whisk attachment, begin whipping with egg whites. Once the whites get foamy, add the vinegar. Increase the speed to high. Beat for 4-6 minutes, until soft peaks have formed.
- Slowly begin to add the sugar and arrowroot mixture.
- Once all has been added, whip on high until you have firm peaks (the peaks will not be a stiff as a standard meringue. They should stand on their own though).
- Divide the your Pavlova into two portions on your parchment. Use a spatula to form 2 circles. Work from the center out, spreading the mix to the outside edge. Build the sides up higher than the center.
- Place the meringue into the oven. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes at 250°F—or until the outside is dry to touch. (Bake time depends on the size of your meringue. Do not open the oven while baking.)
- Turn off the oven, and allow the pavlova to completely cool before you take it out.
- Once cooled, put the first disk on your plate. Top with half of your whip. Add the second disk. Top with the remainder of the whip and all your berry toppings! Serve ASAP!